Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Bailey Rizzo

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief

I’m a senior and this is my third (and final) year as the newspaper editor-in-chief. I am also heavily involved in the school’s yearbook, where I am also the editor-in-chief. Let’s just say journalism takes up a majority of my life, so if you can’t find me, try checking in J1 - that’s usually where I am. Additionally, I have competed in the five UIL Journalism events since my freshman year, when I won a state championship in headlines. Corona took away the actual district, region and state competition last year, which was pretty upsetting, but we have to move on at some point. I just hope this year can go on as it should. Academics are also a huge part of my  life and I have maintained my position on the A-honor roll and in the top five percent of my class, which helped me get inducted into NHS. Outside of school, I train Brazilian jiu jitsu and enjoy reading, spending time with friends and family and writing for my blog, baileyrizzo.com. It was heartbreaking to realize this would be my last year in this school and in these student publications, but I’m just trying to keep my head up and finish this year strong - whatever that may look like. 

All content by Bailey Rizzo
School Board Elections - What You Need to Know

School Board Elections – What You Need to Know

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief April 20, 2021

To get teachers more involved in the school board elections, MaryAnn Knight and Allison Foster-Haliburton & Knight formed the Mansfield Organization of Voting Educators. They hosted a forum last Thursday...

MHS Hosts Prom May 8

MHS Hosts Prom May 8

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief April 16, 2021

After the district set specific parameters regarding prom, the prom committee worked to plan a formal gala from 7:30p.m. to 11:30p.m. Saturday, May 8 at The Fort Worth Club. “Prom is a rite of passage...

Gold Duster Drill Team Prepares for Nationals Competition

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief February 22, 2021

To prepare for the remainder of their competition season this year, the Gold Duster drill team will continue to sharpen their skills at practices after school and on Saturdays. The team will compete at...

Scholarship Help

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief December 11, 2020

As seniors submit their college applications and receive their acceptance letters, financial aid is a big factor in choosing the next step in life. While FAFSA offers a solution to assuage the high  costs...

Personal Column: I Choose Mizzou

Personal Column: I Choose Mizzou

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief November 12, 2020

Ever since college became a big deal, I thought I wanted to stay close to home, not leaving my family or what was comfortable for me. Eventually, I decided three to four hours away was a good distance...

Editorial: Virtual v.s. In-School Learning Policy

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief October 29, 2020

To solve issues regarding students who choose to self-quarantine, starting next six weeks the district requires students to decide whether they are virtual or in-person learners, and will not be allowed...

Football Team Produces Tiger10 Videos to Introduce Players

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief October 13, 2020

To help students get to know the varsity football players, Coach David Ellis creates Tiger10 videos each week by interviewing players and uploading them to social media. “My ultimate hope for the...

StuCo Welcomes New Adviser, Adapts to COVID Regulations

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief September 17, 2020

Because of new school regulations to combat the spread of COVID-19, student council must find new, creative ways to make the school year run as smoothly as possible, while also adapting to a new adviser. “I...

Throwback Thursday: Teacher Edition - Patrick Lewallen

Throwback Thursday: Teacher Edition – Patrick Lewallen

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief September 3, 2020

Our school welcomed a new athletic trainer this year. After working at Legacy High for several years, he transitioned to our campus and we look forward to getting to know him and his style.   Q:...

Personal Column: How COVID Impacts my College Applications

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief September 1, 2020

I spent weeks stressing over my first college application to my dream school the University of Missouri (Mizzou), trying to perfect it as much as I could. My entire future was dependent on clicking that...

Editorial: Should Athletic Teams Continue Practicing?

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief August 28, 2020

After the UIL mandated strict practice schedules and safety parameters for members and Tiger athletic teams began summer conditioning, many students, staff and community members are still against this...

Tiger Football Names New Head Coach: Gregory George

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief May 20, 2020

For three months, Coach Gregory George felt a multitude of emotions. He suffered alongside his best friend and former head football coach Daniel Maberry in his battle against cancer, until facing that...

Book Review: Anatomy of a Boyfriend

Book Review: Anatomy of a Boyfriend

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief April 29, 2020

With the school closure caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, I have had a lot more time to read, a hobby I find great enjoyment in doing. One of the books I recently finished is Anatomy of a Boyfriend. I know...

Personal Column: Coronatime

Personal Column: Coronatime

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief April 22, 2020

This coronavirus sucks. It just sucks. Not to be insensitive to those with the virus or any of the medical professionals who risk their health each day to help, but this whole situation has really screwed...

Forever Maberry Strong

Forever Maberry Strong

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief February 26, 2020

Walking into the main performance hall, a kind of stillness sets in. People in suits, dresses and other Sunday-best attire mill around, trying to find an open seat. Almost every seat is filled with students,...

Hargrove Sets District Bowling Record

Hargrove Sets District Bowling Record

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief January 24, 2020

Taking two deep breaths, senior Hogan Hargrove eyes the lane, lining up with the pins. The bowling ball waits to be thrown toward them, with the intention of knocking each over for the always-desired strike....

Author Review: Rupi Kaur

Author Review: Rupi Kaur

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief January 21, 2020

Author Rupi Kaur has been greatly praised for her two books, and as an avid reader, I just had to read them for myself. And after reading both Milk and Honey and The Sun and Her Flowers, I can definitely...

Personal Column: Am I scheduling for myself or my GPA?

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief January 14, 2020

All my life, my grades have been of the utmost importance. I strived for A’s all the time, and maintained that for each semester of my academic year. Additionally, my GPA is  serious deal for me. I...

Senior Class Offers Science Camp to Kids for Fundraiser

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief December 14, 2019

To allow parents to have a day off and raise money for prom and other activities, the class of 2020 will host a “Parents’ Day Out” from 10:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. tomorrow at the school, where students...

Personal Column: The Problem With Student Petitions

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief November 12, 2019

Multiple times over the past few years, students in the district have created online petitions to cancel school on certain days of the school year. Then, the petition link is shared all over social media...

Editorial: Parking on Band Practice Field

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief October 18, 2019

To ensure the most effective and productive after-school band practice, the directors must repeatedly ask that students and staff to move their cars from the back parking lot, which has been a major issue...

Administration Considers Revised Advisory Schedule

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief October 8, 2019

To benefit students who use advisory for study purposes and limit the amount of students roaming the halls during this time, the school administration is contemplating making a change to the current advisory...

September Tiger All-Stars

September Tiger All-Stars

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief October 7, 2019

Each month, teachers select one student from their classes to give their Tiger All-Star award to. This is a big deal, and shows that your teachers really do pay attention. Congratulations to the following...

Nine MHS Students Will Perform with Kristin Chenoweth at November Concert

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief September 23, 2019

To get the chance to perform with Emmy and Tony Award-winner Kristin Chenoweth, MISD high school students auditioned in early September and those who were chosen by the judging panel will open the show...

Editorial: Communication Privacy, Senate Bill 944

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief September 11, 2019

After the Texas Legislature met last, it developed a law stating that any form of communication by employees regarding school-related business is the property of the district, which directly affects schools...

Border Brawl Recap

Border Brawl Recap

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief September 3, 2019

Over the weekend, the five MISD high schools went head-to-head with five Tulsa-area high schools for the second annual Border Brawl game. Two years ago, athletic directors from the district decided they...

Down for Dowd

Down for Dowd

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief August 28, 2019

After former principal Jennifer Young accepted a promotion in the district, Trent Dowd jumped at the opportunity to fill the vacancy by becoming the newest principal. His plan for the first semester is...

Personal Column: Whats the Deal with Banquets?

Personal Column: What’s the Deal with Banquets?

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief May 15, 2019

Banquets. Once you reach high school, everybody’s heard of them and seen the Snapchat stories of the hyped-up night to celebrate the end of a season or year. But what’s the big deal? It’s...

Choir Hosts Princess Tea Party as Fundraiser

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief May 9, 2019

To raise funds for the Varsity Women’s choir, the organization will host a Princess Tea Party from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 11 in the library. Tickets are sold online at mansfieldchoir.com and cost $15...

Milemarker 300

Milemarker 300

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief May 1, 2019

Nine long innings are over, won by 15 points with three home runs, when head softball coach Jennifer Haltom turns around to see a parent on the field coming her way. A cookie-cake and a softball signed...

Education Foundation Alters Top 50 Academic Scholar Celebration Format

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief April 10, 2019

After listening to feedback from the community, the Education Foundation decided to alter the format of the annual Top 50 Academic Scholar Celebration, which will offer an invitation-only reception at...

AP Art History and French IV Students to Host Kimbell Night in April

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief March 6, 2019

To incorporate what AP Art History and AP French IV students have learned in class, French teacher Allison Foster-Haliburton and history teacher Michael Withers will host an MHS night from 6-7:30 p.m....

Personal Column: The Struggle Is Real

Personal Column: The Struggle Is Real

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief February 14, 2019

I walk into a room and immediately, my eyes are drawn to a corner, somewhere I can hide myself. I want to avoid the crowd of people. I sit down in class and want to bury my head, not have to deal with...

Students Choose Course Load Now Through Feb. 13

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief February 6, 2019

Now through Feb. 13, underclass students will visit their counselors during science classes to choose their course load for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year. All requests are due to counselors the day...

Mansfield Speaks Presents CHANGE on Thursday at PAC

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief February 4, 2019

Each year, the school hosts a TED-like event, where several students prepare a speech and discuss their view on anything pertaining to the year’s chosen theme. It is a night where students, faculty and...

Fish in the Net

‘Fish’ in the Net

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief January 31, 2019

“You’re on varsity.” This was the last thing freshman Jakob Buhrkuhl expected to hear after tryouts. While he anticipated earning a spot on the JV soccer team, making varsity was a whole other level...

Editorial: Mansfield Tiger SuperFan app

Editorial: Mansfield Tiger SuperFan app

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief January 18, 2019

By designing an app available to all students, faculty, parents and community members, Principal Jennifer Young hopes to promote better participation in school activities. Her goal is to release the app...

Super Connected SuperFans

Super Connected SuperFans

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief January 16, 2019

To increase student engagement and participation in school events, Principal Jennifer Young decided to design an app available to all students, parents and faculty to better connect the school community....

Throwback Thursday: Teacher Edition – Brandi Gates

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief January 10, 2019

Whether you are a freshman or senior, you probably have heard of Mrs. Gates. Get to know her even more below.   Q: Where did you go to high school? College? A: I went to Mansfield High and...

32 MHS Students Advance to State TAFE Competition

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief December 19, 2018

After competing in the Texas Association of Future Educators (TAFE) regional competition in early December, all 32 MHS participants qualified for the state contest, which will be Feb. 28 - March 2 in Allen. “It’s...

Blessed Baby Boom

Blessed Baby Boom

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief December 7, 2018

“Everything happens for a reason.” This is the phrase that kept AVID Coordinator Neely Trotter and Strength and Conditioning Coordinator Shane Trotter going through rough patches during their multiple...

UIL, ConTex Monitors All Athletic Injuries, Concussion Incidents

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief November 27, 2018

After two years of collecting data aimed at assessing the prevalence of brain injuries in high school sports, the Concussion Network of North Texas (ConTex) and UT Southwestern agreed to partner with the...

Everything You Need to Know About Friendsgiving

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief November 14, 2018

What is ‘Friendsgiving?’ Simply put, Friendsgiving is just a gathering of friends for a festive meal together in late November. Bringing out the slow cooker doesn’t have to mean Mom...

Movie Review: Bohemian Rhapsody

Movie Review: Bohemian Rhapsody

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief November 8, 2018

Even if you aren’t a music buff or a Queen fan, this new movie is sure to bridge the divide between lovers and haters of the popular group from the 1980s to the early 2000s. I saw this movie the...

Students to Watch Safe Interactions with Law Enforcement Video in ProComm Classes

Students to Watch ‘Safe Interactions with Law Enforcement’ Video in ProComm Classes

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief November 2, 2018

To define the behavior and expectations of citizens and law enforcement during traffic interactions, the 85th Texas Legislature created the “Flashing Lights: Creating Safe Interactions Between Citizens...

Throwback Thursday: Teacher Edition – Ashley Kavanagh

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief October 18, 2018

In this week's Throwback Thursday article, we got to learn about our favorite English I and AP English III teacher. She captures the hearts of all her students; even if you were never in her class, you...

Funding the Future

Funding the Future

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief October 5, 2018

Because of growing district athletic programs, part of the 2016 bond funds will provide a larger field house at each high school campus to enhance productivity and player competitiveness. Construction...

New Things Coming to Mansfield

New Things Coming to Mansfield

Bailey Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief September 18, 2018

Broad Street has been in the process of reconstruction for over a year. A new toll road has come to town in the form of the commonly-used 360 state highway. Gas stations are seemingly popping up on every...

District Approves Senior-Painted Parking Spaces

Bailey Rizzo, Editor in Chief September 6, 2018

Editor's note: Because of inclement weather, painting dates have been changed to September 15 and September 22. Seniors can begin painting their personalized parking space in the west student parking...

Load More Stories

Comments (0)

All The Uproar Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest