Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Freshman Breaks School Record in Track

Jordyn Brown running in a track meet

Freshman Jordyn Brown has shattered the 30-year school record for the 400 meter in track. Though it wasn’t her personal best time, Jordyn said she has been planning to break this record for a while. She’s competing in Region Friday April 19.

“The previous record was a 57 as well but it was a slower time. That’s like a 57.58,” Track and Field Coach Hector Caulderon. “Her current record is like a 57.53.”

She excels at her academics as well as her athletics and continues to impress teachers and coaches.

“Jordyn is quiet. She’s smart, very intelligent,” Caulderon said. “She’s one of the top girls in her class on the team.”

Caulderon said the team didn’t notice she had broken the record until they saw her time.

“I was very happy about it,” Brown said. “I had been planning to break it sometime in the year.”

It was announced more than once at practice to celebrate Brown’s record-breaking time.

“They just sat at like two or three practices,” Senior Layla Tippins said. “Like Jordan broke the record and we all did good.”

She spends her time running all year for track and cross country which she plans on continuing to college.

“I know she runs summer track with her dad,” Caulderon said. “She also ran cross country for me in the first semester.”