Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Changing Competition

UIL Finalizes Redistricting
Mansfield+Varsity+Football+up+against+DeSoto+on+November+11+
Beckem Koenig
Mansfield Varsity Football up against DeSoto on November 11

As part of the biennial UIL reclassification and realignment policy, 6A-classified Mansfield schools have been placed in District 3 and changes will go into effect at the beginning of the next school year.

“Our level of play has risen over the years to the point that we should be able to handle teams that are similarly talented to us,” head football coach Gregory George said. “Everyone else is going to be better than they were last year.” 

Every two years, UIL adjusts the classification and arrangement of schools based on student population and location. UIL creates designations 1A through 6A. Since Mansfield, Legacy and Lake Ridge have student populations greater than 2,275, they are considered 6A.

“I think redistricting can definitely impact competition. There are many 5A schools that could very well change to 6A,” junior Nicolas Cardenas said. “It could change drastically if the wrong schools get changed to the right district.”

Currently, the school is placed in District 11 and Region 2 alongside Cedar Hill, Dallas Skyline, DeSoto, Duncanville, Lake Ridge, Legacy and Waxahachie. The campus was shifted to District 3 and Region 3 with Crowley, Fort Worth Boswell, Lake Ridge, Legacy, North Crowley and Weatherford. 

“We’ve beaten Weatherford in [baseball] tournaments earlier this season, and I don’t know too much about Crowley,” Cardenas said. “Boswell is a really solid school, so that’ll definitely bring a lot more competition.”

Realignment is crucial to athletic, academic and music competitions. Since 2020, the school has been positioned with DeSoto and Duncanville. As of 2023, DeSoto and Duncanville are ranked fifth and eighth nationwide respectively in football. 

“Our new district might seem a little ‘easier’ than the one without two returning state champions, but both Crowley schools are going to be really good,” George said. “So effectively, it will still be a very competitive district to get into the playoffs.”

The change will likely impact the playing field across the board. Many believe that it will lessen the difficulty in some areas, while others believe it could provide a needed challenge in others. Further shifts in UIL districts will be made in the Spring of 2026. The UIL will once again consider campus size and geography when determining placements. 

“I don’t think it’ll impact [academic] events too heavily, at least not to the point where there will always be a clear winner,” sophomore Joseph Torres said. “It will definitely change the way it runs, though. I think more schools will have more opportunities to win.”