Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

Mansfield High School Online Newspaper

The Uproar

New Changes to National Day of Testing

College Board to move testing online starting this year.
Haley Willis
Mansfield students at the PSAT prep-course.

To better prepare for life after high school, underclassmen will take the PSAT digitally on October 11. 

“Go in, do the best you can, and see where you need to improve,” academic associate principal Christy Miller said. “You’ve got to know where you have to go if you want to grow.”

Every year, Mansfield ISD dedicates a day given by College Board to testing. Underclassmen will take the PSAT 8/9 or PSAT/NMSQT, which acts as a qualifier for the National Merit Scholarship Program that offers financial aid to finalists each year.

“I don’t enjoy taking the test (PSAT),” junior Caitlyn Ly said. “But, good test scores look good for college applications, so I try my best anyway.”

Seniors will not take the PSAT, but will instead take either the TSI or ASVAB. The TSI is beneficial to those attending in-state colleges and will be administered at Ben Barber and count towards state-mandated College, Career, and Military Readiness (CCMR). 

“Other (seniors) may take the ASVAB career aptitude test, which isn’t just for the military,” Miller said. “It’s a good test to see where your strengths and weaknesses are.”

Some believe the test is beneficial. According to Miller, it acts as a data point to see which areas should be improved on for the SAT.

“In my opinion, standardized tests like the PSAT are sound measurements of academic performance,” sophomore Marshall Pray said. “But, there are more accurate methods of testing out there.”

Across the board, there are mixed opinions on the test.

“I don’t really like the concept of standardized tests,” Ly said. “They aren’t the most accurate display of a student’s skills and knowledge. Some students may struggle with test-taking skills or time pressure, which may affect their scores unintentionally.”

Miller has stated that there are multiple ways to use PSAT scores to improve your SAT scores.

“The great thing about that is that College Board will work with Khan Academy and set up tutorials based on where you need to grow,” Miller said. “You can set up daily and weekly practices, and take as many practice tests as you’d like.”

Many freshmen who have yet to take the test may be nervous about the day. Those who have taken the test before can clarify their doubts.

“Just don’t waste any time,” Pray said. “If you don’t know the answer to a question, move on and come back to it if you have time.”